Monday, October 24, 2016

Mission Field Week 4

Hey what's up everybody? 

     So I have had a pretty good week. Monday night I was in a lesson with a man named T---. He has a wife who is a member and two young daughters. He is what we call an eternagator (an eternal investigator). He has gone through at least six sets of missionaries. After our lesson he says "Elders I have decided it is time for me to get baptized. I have already asked my friend to do it and it should happen around Christmas time." We broke the cycle! He's really awesome and we are super excited for him. 

     The next day, we were walking to a Samoan family's home. We knocked on the door and a large Samoan man answers the door and says "Elders, come baptize my children." Haha can do. We have the two kids and the mom on date for baptism. The day after that we were at a lesson with one of our usuals, T----. She is a returning member and a great woman. She lives with her sister and her children and grandchildren or something. Anyways, one of her grandchildren is a 14 year old girl named H----. H---- sat in on one of our lessons before because she was keeping these two puppies from getting into trouble. We asked if she was a member. She said she wasn't. So my comp was like "Oh....do you wanna get baptized?" And she said she would like that. All this happened in two days! It was really amazing. And then yesterday we were having a lesson with a less active family whose younger daughter (I think she is 14 or 15) hasn't been baptized. So we scheduled it and the family is going to start going to church with her again. Sweet! 

      So as I have mentioned before, my apartment is not that great. It's not in a good part of town and our neighbors do dumb things like smoke cigarettes into our AC vent so our apartment smells like smoke. My companion and I got tired of this and our lease on the place is almost up so we went house shopping and found a place down the street that, while not wonderful, is a lot better than our current place and we negotiated the price down to the same price as is being paid for or current apartment. We will hopefully be moving in within the week. I'll send the address when we do.

      We have another less active member who we have been teaching named W-------. He was unemployed, drinking all the time and is a heavy smoker (we have to go change our clothes after being in his place because we wreak of smoke). He has been working so hard to become more like the Savior and overcome his trials. He has been sober for about three weeks now I believe and he has finally got a job working at FedEx. Once he has kicked his drinking habit he plans on quitting smoking and then in a few months getting his temple recommend. It is super amazing to help him beat his challenges and to completely change his life for the better.


     On Friday, Elder B--- and I, along with Elders S--- and K--- and three sister missionaries, went to a Samoan wedding. It started out rough when the bride was an hour late to it. Since we let the other guests go in first, we missionaries did not get good seats at all. You see the church they were at (I don't know whose religion it was) was too small for the amount of people that showed up. So the missionaries and a few other people got seated facing a wall next to the room where the wedding was. And since the wedding was in Samoan we didn't understand a word. But we were happy to be there for them. Elder B--- was the photographer so we went and took their wedding photos afterwards.

     Alright Mom I'll now answer all the questions I didn't answer already. 

1. Yes I have received my care packages. Thank you so much! They really help a lot since we only get 100 dollars a month so they were greatly appreciated.

2.  Sundays here for missionaries are different. Since we cover at least 6 wards per companionship, we go to the Sacrament meetings of three wards the go home for a little while. Then we have a lesson, go to dinner and then another 2 lessons. That's pretty much our Sundays.

3. So the way our stake does dinners is we have a different ward feeding us every day. This is not a very efficient way of doing things because it's really confusing for the members and some of our ward mission leaders don't care about us or their callings at all and don't even bother to ask their ward to feed us so we will usually get fed 4
days a week or so. Hopefully they will be changing it so we have a ward feeding us for a week, which is a lot better. And no I have not had anything unusual and I have not seen jello at all so far. Knock on wood.

4. How did I survive my bike ride? By not falling or crashing. It was difficult but I made it without problems.



No comments:

Post a Comment